Sunday, January 24, 2021

Hi-Par 'Saturn 6' Halo overhaul

 I was fortunate enough to receive this old Saturn 6 Halo antenna from a friend.  It had been stored for the last 25 years.  The aluminum condition was good, but just needed a good polishing.


The fasteners were even in decent shape.  I only replaced the ones at the feed point.

It came without the original matching network.  After reading this eHam article, I learned that the impedance required a 4:1 transformer.  The details of the construction were provided.


I first tried the 25 ohm coax (parallel RG-58) @ 37".  I wasn't quite satisfied with this.  The coax tail was cumbersome and the match wasn't quite as good as it might be.


I then wound the wire transformer.
8 turns of 14 gauge around a 9/16" form spread 2" long.
One end connects to one feed point on the antenna.  Two turns in it connects to the coax ground.  6 turns in it connects to the other feed point of the antenna.  The 8th turn connects to the center of the coax connector.

The whole thing fit in a nice plastic enclosure (formerly from a wall wart).  A little squeeze here and there and the transformer functions well with a much better ideal impedance at resonance.  The ability to massage the transformer made it superior to the coax matching method in my mind.

We are ready for Field Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment